Ok . . . so it’s all good and well having a vision for everyone to read, but practically, “how” do we live out and work towards obtaining this vision.
Well . . . there is a plan. Our vision is inspired by two key scriptures, namely the Great Commandment and the Great Commission.
The Great Commandment
Jesus replied : “Love the Lord your God
with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it : “Love your neighbour
as yourself.” All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
The Great Commission
“Therefore go and make disciples
of all nations, baptizing them
in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them
to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
From these two scriptures, we have highlighted 5 purposes :
Love the Lord your God | MAGNIFY
Love your neighbour | MINISTRY
Go and make disciples | MISSIONS
Baptize them | MEMBERSHIP
Teaching them | MATURITY
It’s these 5 purposes that help us achieve our vision of “Establishing His people and Extending His kingdom.”
The simple reality is that in order for the Kingdom of God to be extended on earth, His people need to be established in the ways of God.
- Our desire firstly, is to see people established in their relationship with God.
(Love the Lord your God).
- As they come to know Christ, its God’s desire to see you planted and rooted in a church family.
- Once you’re committed to Christ and the church family, it’s time for you to grow, develop and mature.
- But . . . not only are you there to grow, but you’re also here to give out and serve others around you.
(Love your neighbour as yourself).
- Remember that God also wants to use you “out there” in the world. This could mean reaching out to those at your place of work, on the sports field or simply reaching out to a friend in need. That’s your “mission field” – those around you.
(Go and make disciples).